Saturday 10 August 2013

This is a packing post.  Well, a gathering all the various pieces together post.  If we get as far as packing I will certainly rejoice!  This morning I wondered through the pound shops of Dun Laoghaire unable to decide what gift a small child on the other side of the world might like?  I eventually buy a selection of the rubbish that I would get for my grand children - don't children everywhere love glittery bits of plastic and things with wheels on?  I hope so.

This is symptomatic of my sheer inability to comprehend what it will be like in Tanzania.  Reading the guarantee on one of the pieces of camera equipment we have gathered I noticed that it mentioned every country in the world but left out the whole of Africa and when I first tried to send money to Jeremy and Camilla my internet banking just didn't have Tanzania on its list.  Couldn't be done.  I feel I am traveling way beyond the borders of my world, well, actually, even beyond the borders of my imagination.

The last I heard from Jeremy was "The choc situation is very bad" so it's out I go again this afternoon to buy chocolate with nuts to bring them comfort.  An area where I at least have some expertise.

The other thing that is on my mind all the time is the huge amount of goodwill that goes with us.  It has been an extraordinary experience to be helped and supported by so many people. 

We leave in three days' time.  I hope my future posts will have more of the grit of reality in them.


1 comment:

  1. You must be there by now! Sending you and Davy lots of love and wishing you well on your adventure. Looking forward to hearing more.......! Your letter and remedy arrived from Dunlaoghaire, thank you!

    ReplyDelete